You Are Here: Red Tag
Red Tag 3rd Kup
PATTERN – Toi Gye – 37 movements
TOI-GYE is the pen name of the noted scholar Yi Hwang (16th century), an authority on neo Confucianism. The 37 movements of the pattern refer to his birthplace on 37th degree latitude, the diagram represents “scholar”.
- Upset fingertip thrust
(Dwijibo sonkut tulgi)
- Twin side elbow thrust
(Sang Yop palkup tulgi)
- W – shape block
- Pushing block
- Low section knife-hand guarding block
(Najunde sonkal daebi makgi)
- Side back fist strike
(Yop dung joomuk taerigi)
Power Test Techniques
1: Knife-hand strike to target at 45 degree angle
2: Left and Right turning kick to target at 45 degree angle
Power Tests are judged on
1: Proper technique
2: Correct striking tool
3: Proper posture
5: Destruction of target
1 Step Sparring – IIbo Matsoki
Attacking and Defending
(One step consists of counter attacks to a single punch in a walking stance. All attacks start from parallel ready stance, first on the right side then on the left side. Counter attacks to punches from either side must be practiced.)
The defender must execute efficient blocking or evading techniques followed by counter attacks consisting of a combination of hand or foot striking techniques or take down techniques. Regardless if the defender is to evade or take down their partner they should always follow through to “finish off’ their attacker
- It is vital that all techniques are correct and focused on the proper target.
- Proper distance and control must be maintained.
- All kicks and punches must be fully extended to the target without striking.
Therefore demonstrating the exponent’s proficiency and control as expected of their grade
Movements – 37
Ready Posture – CLOSED READY STANCE B
1. Move the left foot to B forming a right L-stance toward B while executing a middle block to B with the left inner forearm.
2. Execute a low thrust to B with the right upset finger tip while forming a left walking stance toward B, slipping the left foot to B.
3. Bring the left foot to the right foot to form a closed stance toward D while executing a side back strike to C with the right back fist, extending the left arm to the side downward. Perform in slow motion.
4. Move the right foot to A forming a left L-stance toward A while executing a middle block to A with the right inner forearm.
5. Execute a low thrust to A with the left upset finger tip while forming a right walking stance toward A, slipping the right foot to A.